WV & OH electricity rates to go up after power plant switch

by Luke Johnson on June 6, 2013

I realize most people don’t even care about power plants unless they are being built in their neighborhood but this story will affect thousands of residents in West Virginia and Ohio. The plant is located in Haywood West Virginia and is called Harrison Power Station.

First Energy is the umbrella company of Mon Power and Potomac. Mon Power is selling its 20 percent of a coal power plant to Potomac. The other 80 percent is also being bought from Allegheny Energy Supply Company. Big deal, right? At first glance it seems fine but by examining it closer it is clear what the First Energy is trying to do.

Potomac buying the plant will move the generation from Ohio into West Virginia which is regulated. The goal is to get more money for the power generation because coal is not as competitive as nuclear or natural gas. It works because the state is regulation by West Virginia Public Service Commission which means the government will give a monopoly to Potomac.

Why should consumers fight and how?

The “why” consumers should is simple, it will save everyone money. Rates, for both Ohio and West Virginia will go up. Some reports have it as high as seven percent.

The first thing people can do to fight the switch is write their representatives. It may be old fashion but it still is the best way to voice your opinion. (See links at the bottom to find a representative)

Consumers can also file a complaint to the Regulator’s office. The West Virginia Public Service Commission and the Ohio Public Utility Commission is designed to protect consumers from high electricity rates. It only makes sense that consumers should contact them first.

Two voices are better than one so the next step is to share this article with others to make sure everyone knows. Getting more people to voice their opinion will draw more attention to it.

Here are some links to help find the right avenue to fight.

Complaints/comments: http://www.psc.state.wv.us/scripts/onlinecomments/formalDisclaimer.cfm

West Virginia representatives: http://www.legis.state.wv.us/House/roster.cfm

Ohio representatives: http://www.ohiohouse.gov/members/member-directory

News: http://www.psc.state.wv.us/WebDocket/default.htm Look up docket number 12-1571 to see the latest.

Luke Johnson

Luke Johnson has been writing about deregulated energy markets since early 2010. His knowledge has helped consumers lower their electricity cost. Connect with Luke on Google+.

{ 0 comments… add one now }

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: